VIOLENCE CONTINUES AS ABOUT 3,000 PEOPLE FLEE CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC


 People fleeing from violence in Central African Republic.

Thousands of people have fled their homes as violence continues to engulf the south-eastern city of Bangassou in the Central African Republic (CAR), the UN on said Monday.

More than 3,000 people had fled within hours of violence erupting late Friday when members of the mainly-Christian anti-Balaka militia attacked civilians and a UN field office.

UN peacekeepers exchanged fire with anti-Balaka Monday, UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said.

Dujarric did not comment on reports that militiamen had agreed to leave the city on condition that UN troops stop firing at them.

One thousand people are confined in a mosque compound, and around 1500 have sought refuge in a cathedral.

Another 500 are hiding out in a hospital in Bangassou, 47 kilometres east of the capital city of Bangui, Dujarric said.

An unknown number of people have also crossed the border into the Democratic Republic of Congo.

The number of fatalities is unknown, but a Moroccan UN peacekeeper was killed in a firefight with the unidentified gunmen, the UN mission to the country confirmed on Saturday.

UN peacekeepers and an attack helicopter have been deployed as the mission continue to try to secure some of the strategic areas of Bangassou, Dujarric said.

The outbreak of violence follows an ambush last week which killed four Cambodian peacekeepers and one Moroccan peacekeeper.

The diamond-rich but poverty-stricken nation has been in crisis since late 2012 when violence broke out between two rebel groups.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FROM ALTER BOY TO ISIS FIGHTER

REARRESTED RITUALIST CONFESSES,SAYS "I ESCAPED UNDER POWER OUTAGE BUT HUNGER LED TO MY REARREST"

MARRIED MUM'S SEX WITH LITTLE BOYS

COLLEGE OF EDUCATION STAFF FOUND DEAD FEW HOURS AFTER HE WAS KIDNAPPED IN BENUE

EFCC UNCOVERS N13 BILLION CASH IN LOCAL AND FOREIGN CURRENCIES IN LAGOS APARTMENT

SCHEDULED FOR EXECUTION-CONVICTED KILLER LEDELL LEE

LADY STABS EX-BOYFRIEND TO DEATH AFTER HE PROPOSED TO ANOTHER

FILIPINO TERROR SUSPECT IS DEAD

N'GOLO KANTE VOTED PFA PLAYER OF THE SEASON

2nd WOMAN AND DAUGHTER OF FIRST SUSPECT ARRESTED IN TEEN'S MURDER,BODY FOUND